Benfica Proposes New Model for Palhinha Acquisition
Munich, August 17 – Benfica Lisbon is reportedly intensifying its efforts to sign Joao Palhinha from FC Bayern Munich. According to the Portuguese sports newspaper “O Jogo”, after their initial loan offer was rejected, Benfica has proposed a new payment model for the midfielder. The proposal suggests paying the transfer fee in two installments: one this summer and the second next year. Bayern is reportedly demanding at least 25 million Euros for the 31-year-old. Palhinha is said to be a key target for Benfica coach Marco Silva, who previously worked with the defensive midfielder at FC Fulham.
Uruguayan Talent Rodrigo Dudok on Trial with FC Bayern
FC Bayern Munich is reportedly testing 19-year-old Uruguayan winger Rodrigo Dudok from Racing Club, Montevideo, for ten days. Journalist Santiago Acevedo reported that Dudok, a left-winger who has played for various youth national teams, could potentially serve as a backup for Luis Diaz if he proves himself during the trial. Red&Gold Football, a joint venture between FC Bayern and MLS franchise Los Angeles FC, has held a majority stake in Racing Club since 2023. Dudok has scored one goal in eleven competitive appearances so far.
Newcastle United Enters Race for Palhinha
Despite previous reports that Joao Palhinha would not be joining Aston Villa, with Sport Executive Max Eberl clarifying the situation during the introduction of new signing Ismael Saibari, other Premier League clubs are now showing strong interest. Newcastle United is reportedly making a serious bid for the 31-year-old, who is under contract with Bayern until 2028. According to “Marca” and transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, the “Magpies” have offered Palhinha a three-year contract. Newcastle is seeking a replacement for midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, who moved to Arsenal. Bayern is reportedly asking for 30 million Euros. Benfica Lisbon is also said to remain interested if a move to England does not materialize. Palhinha did not feature in the Telekom Cup against RB Leipzig.
Bayern Rejects Aston Villa’s Loan Offer for Palhinha
Sport Executive Max Eberl has stated that FC Bayern is not under pressure to sell João Palhinha, Sacha Boey, and Bryan Zaragoza. Consequently, Bayern rejected Aston Villa’s attempt to sign Palhinha. “There is no longer any chance of an agreement,” Eberl said during the presentation of Ismael Saibari. “It simply doesn’t work because we are not in a situation where we have to do everything others impose on us.” Similar situations apply to Boey and Zaragoza, where no agreement has been reached yet. The three players were informed by the club that they are not part of future plans despite their ongoing contracts. Palhinha had reportedly agreed terms with Villa, but the Premier League club only wanted a loan deal, while Bayern prefers a permanent sale. The German transfer window closes on September 1st, which Eberl described as “unpredictable after a World Cup.”
Aston Villa’s Initial Palhinha Offer Rejected
FC Bayern’s hopes of finding a buyer for midfielder Joao Palhinha continue. “Sky” reported that Aston Villa’s initial offer for the midfielder, who is under contract until 2028, was rejected. The “Villans” were reportedly interested in a loan deal with an option to buy. However, Bayern is keen on a permanent sale, with an asking price of approximately 25 million Euros. Aston Villa is looking for central midfield reinforcements after Amadou Onana’s long-term absence due to a cruciate ligament rupture sustained at the World Cup. Damian Vidagany, Aston Villa’s sporting director, had expressed interest in the Portuguese player to “Bild” after a friendly match against Bayern last week, stating: “We are in talks, but there is currently no agreement.” Besides Aston Villa, Newcastle United and Palhinha’s former club Sporting Lisbon are also reportedly interested in the experienced player.
FC Bayern Enhances Training Ground Secrecy with New Screens
FC Bayern has significantly advanced the installation of new privacy screens at its training ground on Säbener Straße. High fence posts have been erected around the new training pitch, and large tarpaulins have been mounted to prevent prying eyes. An electrically operated cable system allows the tarpaulins to be raised, almost completely shielding the area. According to “Bild,” coach Vincent Kompany personally oversaw the development. Kompany, accustomed to private training conditions from his time in England, reportedly inspected the progress of the construction with sporting director Christoph Freund after the team’s Asia tour. Under Kompany, the team will be more shielded from fans, media, and potential observers than before. While the concept of secret training is not entirely new in Munich, having been introduced under Pep Guardiola and expanded under Julian Nagelsmann, the new tarpaulin system takes privacy to a new level, almost completely blocking views of large parts of the Bayern grounds.
Max Eberl’s Contract Extension Reportedly Imminent
The contract extension for Sport Executive Max Eberl at FC Bayern Munich is reportedly nearing completion. “Sport Bild” reported that the club’s Presidential Committee has given its approval, and the Supervisory Board is expected to ratify the decision at a meeting on August 25th. Honorary President Uli Hoeneß recently put the chances of Eberl staying beyond his current contract, which runs until 2027, at “100 percent,” a significant increase from his previous “60:40” estimate in May. Club President Herbert Hainer also expressed positive sentiments regarding the matter. The Presidential Committee has also reportedly approved the continuation of cooperation with CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen, whose contract also runs until 2027. The duration of their new contracts is still to be determined. Eberl joined Bayern on March 1, 2024, succeeding Hasan Salihamidžić, while Dreesen took over as CEO in May 2023.